Monday, October 30, 2006

Filmmaker Journal Part 3

11/20/05 (Sun) Shot Johnny and Sonny at Northwest Vista, and then returned to my house to shoot the last scene in the movie...the unfinished house. We went across the street from my neighborhood and went guerilla style at a new neighborhood under construction. I was the dp today. I don't think I screwed things up too bad.

The footage was really good, two cameras rolling...but...my camera was NOT in 24p! Looks like home video.

I tell you what...there IS a HUGE difference in the quality of regular video, digital or otherwise, and 24 frames per second. 24P seems to be the closest thing to a film look you can get on digital video next to High Def.

39 set-ups. Not bad for less time than we have had so far!

11/22/05 (Wed) Shot some great stuff with Anne at the Alzheimer's Association...can't use it though. I forgot to clean the lens and there was a smudge. That really sucks. We shot great footage for the “furson scene”. 30 set-ups in one house in 3 hours! We are getting better. Okay...so maybe I did screw up! Remember not to try and do everything yourself! Too many hats and you are DOOMED!

12/3/05 (Sat) Johnny and Anne's restaurant scene. I cried at several takes. Even though the actors weren't feeling it, I was. I have to be the truest audience I can. I am trusting in GOD and my instincts as I feel my way through this process. Another long day. They all seem to be this way. I am tired.

More stuff at the Freedom House Assisted-Living facility. It feels so authentic to be there. I think everyone understands the weight of what we are doing. I know I do.

Tonight we captured some great stuff with Anne and John. Very funny!

51 camera set-ups.

12/4/05 (Sun) John finished last night. We'll miss him. I will work with John and Sonny on anything! 16 set-ups for about 6 hours.

12/10/05 (Sat) I met Don Frame, our Mr. Shyloh. He was PERFECT!!!!!!!!!! Terrific personality, excellent actor, very compassionate personality. He and Martha were lovely together. 29 set-ups. 4 hours. I think we are officially efficient.

12/11/05 (Sun) Very emotional scenes were shot...the front door open was especially powerful. We shot quite a bit focusing on Molly, but the best stuff was with Martha reacting to what was happening. Anne and Martha should receive some awards for their performances. Pierce was great as Steve “Normal Guy”. He should get a stunt cred just for falling down and exposing his tib/fib for the world to see! 45 set-ups!!!!

12/15/05 (Thurs) Terry informed me that about fifteen minutes of our footage from 12/11/05 was erased...Ouch! We still have Martha's powerful stuff though. This makes me happy! Guess we'll fix it in post! Ha, ha. I have to buy a hard drive that costs $200. Right before Christmas!

12/16/05 (Fri) Javier and I went to Corpus Christi, TX. to scout locations for the beach scenes. Found two places that look suitable. It was cold and windy, but perfect for Molly's mood. Jav and I looked at daillies for about seven hours and started the EDL, edit decision list. Slating every take is VERY important! We slated about 98% of ours on this film, but from now on we will slate EVERY SINGLE ONE!!!!!!

12/17/05 (Sat) Anne, Rodolfo, Miriam, their kids Diego and Eddie, Anne, Terry, Javi, and I froze our butts off getting shots at both locations. But, it looked beautiful!!! Anne looks lovely and powerful. I feel very good about this film so far, even before the post process.

I think people will notice me as a filmmaker, and also notice the work EVERYONE did on this film. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful cast and crew. I am so blessed to have such an understanding wife. Susie is my ROCK!!

Every little ache or sense of being tired I have is completely negated when I think about her and my family. I am doing this to honor GOD and start a new life for my family. I also want to entertain, move, and educate audiences.

I don't know how many set-ups we got today, but was probably somewhere around 25.

12/18/05 (Sun) Long day again...we finally shot the scenes with Laurie and my two young actresses, Clarissa Wilkins and Gabi Walker. They act like sisters, which is great because they are playing Molly and Grace as young girls.

It's been said that casting is everything...we shall see. The girls were awesome together!

Good news from Javi tonight after I got home...We can use his friend Josh's 24p camera Mon. and Tues.

55 set-ups on one of the last days of shooting, AND we had three locations with twenty minutes drive time in between. THIS is how film crews should move!!!!

We can shoot alot of stuff that still needs to be done, or redone. We might even have Manny's 24p camera on Wed. Wow...three cameras toward the end of the shoot???? I will take it though. Thank you GOD.

I am very tired. Of course, I will continue working all this week, but I will work as hard as it takes to finish this movie and get it out to public.

Like my youngest son, Elijah says..”Never give up...”!

Oh, a note about the main set for our film. It is MY house. Now, the logistics of shooting a film for 8-14 hours a day on subsequent weekends when you have a wife, preteen, and two small children are incredible. What I mean is...DO NOT EVER ATTEMPT TO DO THIS IF YOU HAVE ANY COMMON SENSE!!!!!!!

It has been hard. Susie has cooked for the cast every weekend and my kids have grown comfortable around lots of different people. But, it is a major distraction to a child's schedule. Next time, I will do whatever it takes to secure a major location where my family doesn't sleep.

12/19/05 (Mon) We reshot stuff from the Alzheimer's Association (I think). It was great! Helen Flores was an extra. I asked her to say exactly what she would to anyone who walked into her office. She was very natural. Future actress?? 27 set-ups. Can't remeber exactly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home